May 8, 2021

BLINK BONNIE GOLF LINKS - PART 2

BLINK BONNIE GOLF LINKS - PART 2
DEEP DIVE

Below is my deep dive into the story of the Blink Bonnie Golf Links, and other golf histories in Sorrento, which I finished last year.

Within it, I reference some early home movies taken at the course I believe in the late 1920s or early 1930s.  If the link to the movie in the text does not work, here is the link directly:

It was in these movie scenes that I first noticed that the course originally took a different route. When the course first opened it appears a round of golf began on what is today's 8th hole and ended next to the clubhouse on the par-three 7th hole.  

It was just announced that the VIA golf committee will restore this original course setup for 2021.  Thanks go to the hard work of the golf committee, and all the others - Bob Marshall in particular - who have kept the Ewing family's gift to Sorrento of Blink Bonnie Golf Links such a treasured place!

New 2021 Blink Bonnie Scorecard


BTW - The fabulous photograph of the clubhouse I use in my piece was taken by Krista Leigh Mather.



As always - additional comments, questions & corrections welcome, especially if anyone recognizes anyone in the movies!






























































2 comments:

  1. It is abundantly obvious that the author’s depth of research must originate with his love of Sorrento.

    In 1980, while traveling the back roads that surrounded my stay in Winter Harbor, I stumbled on the links of Blink Bonnie. As both a professional artist/teacher and devotee of the game of golf, I was immediately “drawn” to the site. I have returned annually for forty one years to play on this special course and to paint the Maine landscape. Initially, I returned to attend a watercolor master class held in Winter Harbor but when that opportunity closed I began periodically to include my wife and our three children in my Summer plans. In 2022, I will spend my second month of August in Corea across from the famous Baptist Church made famous by the artist Marsden Hartley.

    I watched my youngest son grow at Blink from a small lad of eight to a man of now thirty six. I have enjoyed photographing (and painting) his journey with me at Blink Bonnie. To this day we return each year to reinvigorate our Father/Son tradition there.

    Thank you for your efforts in shedding light on the historical perspective of the course. It will add an additional element of joy to our stay there.

    Steven Sliwinski, Troy, Pennsylvania stsliwins@gmail.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Steven - I have traveled a similar road with my sons on Blink Bonnie - no better place to enjoy a round of golf with them - hopefully you also found my post on the first golf course in Sorrento in 1901 -

      Delete