April 29, 2020

SORRENTO MAINE HISTORY

SORRENTO MAINE HISTORY



As I sit in New Jersey home-bound because of mandatory COVID-19 isolation protocols, I thought creating this blog would be a useful way to stay productive, especially given the possibility that some of us may not be able to vacation in Maine this year.


I have been researching the history of Sorrento Maine for several years and have compiled a wealth of information, some of it never documented.  There have been various books written over the years with lots of helpful Sorrento history and I will reference these throughout this blog.  But as with all histories (including mine I'm sure), some of these have errors in research, omissions, or simply dead-ends that were never opened.  Before much of this is again lost to time, I wanted to find a good way to better document the early years of the resort and share what I have found so far.

Having spent Summers here my entire life I have always been fascinated with the town and its people, both year-round residents and us Summer visitors.  Like my Summers on the Waukeag peninsula, researching the history of this place has been a wonderful experience, and one I want to share with the people who have been privileged to live and visit here.  I will point out up-front that there are some topics that I have found that are surprising, however, many mysteries remain.  I hope everyone who reads this will approach my pages with an open mind, and please feel free to offer me constructive criticism, corrections, and opinions.  As best I can, I will try to present the history I explore in as an objective manner possible, but it is sometimes difficult using today's lenses.

I have been confined to using easily searchable open-source archives and I am sure there are many resources I have not yet touched and look forward to finding new avenues to research. I welcome others who may want to include any histories, corrections, pictures, etc. they may want to share. Just contact me using the button on the right and we'll work out a way to get your things posted.

Much of what I will post will include, to the extent possible, the host of primary sources I have found so far and will present these for you to read for yourself.  Please excuse me if I have not always remembered to fully document all the things I have found, but whenever I can I will provide appropriate attribution.  If anyone finds something they feel I have not properly documented, incorrectly interpreted, not given full attribution or simply gotten wrong please let me know so I can remove, update or edit.

Thanks and I look forward to your reading my future posts - Sam Younger
April - 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment